Monday 2 November 2009

Meet the Maker - Trash Chic



This week we meet Sandra and Jane, the dynamic duo behind Trash Chic

Tell us a little bit about you.
SANDRA: Jane and I met nearly six years ago and quickly identified a joint interest in clothes, crafts, art. But it was relatively recently that we decided to take it a step further and form Trash Chic. The idea is that we take remnants, left-overs, broken jewellery, abandoned wool and all kinds of other discarded materials and turn them into aprons, bo chos (bohemian style chokers), bookmarks, cushions and scarves. It's a great stressbusting hobby for us. By profession, I'm a writer and editor
JANE: ... And I'm a web designer.

Have you always been crafty, or is it something that you've picked up more recently?
SANDRA: My mum taught me to knit and sew when I was very, very young. Then I picked up crochet, tatting, embroidery, patchwork, and, as I got older, bead jewellery making and bookmarks. I've always shopped in charity shops and jumble sales, then adapted my purchases. So, yes, it's certainly something I've always had an interest in.

JANE: I started designing and making my own clothes at a very young age and I recall some of my more unusual outfits bringing a smile to the faces of family and friends. In the 80s I sold clothes at Camden Lock and Greenwich Market. I also launched a range of funky outsize clothing which was pretty revolutionary at the time.

Have you been particularly influenced by any other artists or events?
SANDRA: Style and accessory wise, you can't beat a bit of Coco. In terms of artists, Cambridge has an abundance of really amazing talent. Personally, I prefer something clean, natural and in calming tones. The pieces I choose for myself definitely help me to relax and connect with nature or the sea.

JANE: My biggest influence is Vivienne Westwood. I also love Steampunk, anything gothic and Amy Winehouse’s hair. If I was a man I would be a dandy, sport colourful cravats and carry a walking cane.

What other artists are you excited about seeing at Handm@de Cambridge?
SANDRA: Well, it's always great to see Ruth Schmid, QHere bags. We both have several of her bags. But, to be honest, it's exciting just being among all kinds of other creatives and seeing what they make. It's tempting to spend the day buying their things rather than selling ours!!

JANE: I visited Handm@de last year and was completely blown away with the talent. I am sure I’ll be purchasing as well as selling this year.

What is your favourite piece?
SANDRA: Easy: Jane's full-length and half aprons. They really are fabulous, and definitely add a different dimension to being in the kitchen!

JANE: Sandra’s SECRETS bookmark. Roses, hearts and a dash of passion ... a tale of lasting love.

Are there any specific pieces you fancy that will be at Handm@de Cambridge?
SANDRA: I love jewellery. I'm always on the lookout for really unusual chunky earrings and pendants.

JANE: Can’t resist paper, tags and boxes!

You can find out more about Trash Chic on their website http://www.trashchic.co.uk

No comments: