Tuesday 17 November 2009

Meet the Maker - Cat Hylton

This week we talk to Cat Hylton...


Tell us a little bit about you.
Hi I'm Cat, I'm from Norfolk . I'm currently a mature student re-taking some A Levels before going back to university to study veterinary medicine. I will be exhibiting my polymer clay creations and handmade goats' milk soaps.

Have you always been crafty, or is it something that you've picked up more recently?
My mother, who will be exhibiting alongside me, instilled me with her crafting spirit. So crafting is something I've always been into. I've had a go at everything from dress making to lino printing and back again. I'm also a keen photographer, who exhibits work as regularly as possible.

Have you been particularly influenced by any other artists or events?
My mother and grandmother are my main influences, both taught me, encouraged me and supported me in all my crafty exploits. A lot of my clay work is inspired by Christi Friesen.

What other artists are you excited about seeing at Handm@de Cambridge?
I'm a big fan of turned wood - I love the way it feels so I'm pretty excited about seeing Louise and Robert of 'Turned and Twisted'. I'm loving the quirky creations of Fabric Friends - I think one of those might have to come home with me! Hodge Podge Arts has some amazing, unique pieces, which are certainly worth a look. Little Molly the Lamb might just be the cutest thing I've ever seen - I'm a big lamb fan having spent a faie bit of time lambing.

What is your favourite piece?
Probably my little steampunk hedgepig. There will be a variety of steampunk animals available.

Are there any specific pieces you fancy that will be at Handm@de Cambridge?
I think there's likely to be a bit of a fight over those adorable mice by Nat's Nest - everybody seems to love them! I want a GlowBox Lantern for Christmas too!

No comments: