Tuesday 10 November 2009

Meet the Maker - Gemma with a G


This week we meet Gemma of Gemma with a G


Tell us a little bit about you.
I'm Gemma Hadley, I'm 26 years old and I live in a beautiful little cottage in Hitchin, Hertfordshire.

Have you always been crafty, or is it something that you've picked up more recently?
For as long as I can remember I've always had some sort of crafty project on the go. I trained as a graphic designer and while I love computers, there's nothing quite as satisfying as sitting down with some paper, glue and a craft knife and seeing what you can create with your hands.

Have you been particularly influenced by any other artists or events?
I've always been hugely influenced by nature and colour. I also love rummaging through local markets and car boots and am often inspired by the unusual papers and treasures I find.

What other artists are you excited about seeing at Handm@de Cambridge?
So many! I keep on noticing a new exhibitor I didn't see at first and am hugely looking forward to seeing them all! To name a couple though, Bread of Many's illustrations are beautiful and I love the look of Emma Passey's ceramics. I'm a huge teacup fan!

What is your favourite piece?
My butterfly cards were my first design so they'll always be special to me because of that. They take a while to cut out but they look lovely sat on a mantelpiece. They're one of my more detailed cards and people usually react very positively towards them which is a great feeling :) I'm also very busy working on some Christmas designs at the moment!

Are there any specific pieces you fancy that will be at Handm@de Cambridge?
The Print Tree's blossom print clutches look beautiful, I'm a huge fan of Japanese style prints and am definitely looking forward to seeing them!

No comments: