Tuesday 13 October 2009

Meet the Maker - QHere

This week we hear from another new exhibitor with Handm@de Cambridge; Ruth of QHere.

Tell us a little bit about you.
My name is Ruth Schmid. I'm 47 and I am from Switzerland. Seven years ago I moved with my husband, our son and daughter to Cambridge.

Have you always been crafty, or is it something that you've picked up more recently?
I have always loved creating things and working with with my hands. I studied sociology but never felt really happy working in this field. Here in Cambridge, I grasped the opportunity to do what I always deamt of doing: to be creative. I started to design and make very colourful bags made from coated fabrics and recycled advertising banners.

Have you been particularly influenced by any other artists or events?
Coming from Switzerland, I have been influenced by the famous bag makers Freitag, who make bags from recycled lorry banners. I especially like the idea of recycling materials that otherwise would be disposed of in landfills.

What other artists are you excited about seeing at Handm@de Cambridge?
I am excited to see the range of recycled clothes and accesories from TrashChic.

What is your favourite piece?
My favourite piece is the very useful and practical shopping bag that I make from new coated fabrics but also from banners. I very much like making bags and accessories from recycled materials because they are all unique and very special.

Are there any specific pieces you fancy that will be at Handm@de Cambridge?
I will show my new range of shoulder bags with animal print (faux fur) like zebra, giraffe or leopard.

No comments: