Wednesday 1 April 2009

Meet the Maker - Strikk



Cosy homewares, beautiful colours and wonderful craftsmanship are all available from our new meet the maker interviewee - Tanya from Strikk.

What made you start crafting?

My grandmother taught me to knit when i was young and one of my first creations was an aran jersey which my then boyfriend very kindly wore even though it was two sizes too big for him. Luckily things have improved since then and I've knitted on and off throughout my life but it was not until moving to London about three years ago from my home town of cape town that I started knitting seriously again.
Oh, and this of course was helped by stumbling across a littl
e website called Etsy in december 2007!

I knit constantly! the only thing that frustrates me is that only have two hands and I have a full-time job in the city. Fortunately knitting is pretty portable, so I knit everywhere. I've gotten used to people staring at me on tubes and buses. I am trying to figure out how to knit and cycle but I think that is a step too far!"

Tanya mainly uses yarns that come from South Africa which have been hand dyed and hand spun by ladies in job creation projects - "I find the colours and textures both vibrant and incredibly soft."

Besides being on Etsy (http://www.strikk.etsy.com) you can also find Strikk via notonthehighstreet - http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/strikk).
"I have a little blog that I use to update and also showcase other amazing knitters http://strikkstrikk.blogspot.com"



No comments: